Global Commodities: Riding the Roller Coaster
DAY ONE, 16:15-17:45
We have invited senior representatives of the world’s leading metals & mining companies and consultancies to share their views on the current position of the commodity cycle and the direction that the markets will take from here. We would like to dispose of the conventional presentation format and instead propose an informal round-table discussion moderated by a prominent industry expert, followed by a Q&A session. The following are the main topics proposed for discussion.
- Are we seeing the second leg of the commodity supercycle or just another speculative bubble?
- Would Chinese demand growth be enough to offset a prolonged slump across the developed markets?
- Which commodities have stronger fundamentals and which may be overheating now?
- When will cost inflation start biting again?
- How does rotation from dollar-denominated assets affect the commodities space, and what is the scope of speculative inflows?
- How strong is producer supply discipline across various markets and commodities?
- What impact will capex cuts and project deferrals have on long-term supply?
- What will be the scope of strategic stockpiling in China?